BEST PRACTICE PROTOCOL TO MANAGE CHESTNUT INTERNAL ROT
- Remove or mulch all burrs, leaves and twigs from orchard well before flowering.
- Prune trees to allow a minimum of 1 metre to 1.5 metres between trees and 1.5 metres beneath trees.
- Do not use sprinkler or micro - jet irrigation during flowering.
- Do not use sprinklers that wet the leaves of trees.
HARVEST - POSTHARVEST
- Prior to harvesting do cutting tests to determine rot levels to decide whether or not to harvest at all.
- Harvest frequently - daily is best.
- Shake down nuts if they are hanging in trees.
- Wash and float nuts prior to despatch. Discard floaters.
- Cool nuts rapidly.
- Store chestnuts at Celsius to -2° C in high humidity in a cool room.
- Final cutting tests and inspection should be carried out as close as possible to despatch.
- Communicate with your agent prior to sending chestnuts.
- Ensure that your transport provider has properly refrigerated trucks to maintain the "cool chain".