(Courtesy of Ann Creber, Food Consultant and chestnut grower, Melbourne)
300g peeled chestnuts
3 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium potato, diced
8 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
2 cups Aborio rice (or short grain)
salt to taste
- Prepare chestnuts and peel, after boiling in hot water for 10 mins.
- Chop coarsely and put aside.
- Warm olive oil in deep saucepan over low heat.
- Add onion and saute gently, stirring often, until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery and potato and stir.
- Add chopped chestnuts, stock and bay leaves, bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1-3/4 hours.
- Add rice and cook for exactly 15 mins.