(Courtesy of Ann Creber, Food Consultant and chestnut grower, Melbourne)
500g peeled chestnuts (see note)
1-1/2 litres light beef stock (approx)
2 young celery stalks
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup light cream
salt and pepper
butter fried bread croutons
- Prepare chestnuts and peel, after boiling in hot water for 10 mins.
- Cook chestnuts with stock and celery for about 20 mins. Meanwhile, saute apple slices in the butter with a good sprinkling of stock.
- Puree chestnuts, celery and apple with the stock and pan juices from the apples. Add salt and pepper. Stir in cream.
- If soup is too thick, dilute with a little boiling water or stock. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve very hot with croutons.