(Courtesy of Ann Creber, Food Consultant and chestnut grower, Melbourne)
6-8 cups rich chicken stock
750g pumpkin (butternut is delicious!) peeled & cubed
3 onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1-1/2 tbs chopped fresh herbs
2/3 cup chestnuts (fresh or dried & rehydrated)
salt & pepper to taste
good pinch nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine stock, pumpkin, celery, herbs and chestnuts.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a brisk simmer and allow to cook over moderate heat until pumpkin and chestnuts are tender.
- Ladle the soup in small batches into a blender or food processor bowl and process to a smooth texture. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- If necessary, reheat gently then ladle into heated bowls.
- Pour a little cream into each bowl and top with chives.