Courtesy of Ann Creber, Food Consultant and chestnut grower, Melbourne.
250g cooked chestnuts, peeled & coarsely chopped
1 tblspn butter
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn white pepper
1/2 tspn nutmeg
3 small thin skinned oranges
1 tunnel boned leg of lamb (medium size)
2 tblspns virgin olive oil
2 tblspns honey
- Coarsely puree chestnuts with butter, seasoning, finely grated rind, juice and pulp from oranges.
- Stuff cavity in the lamb with this mixture, pressing it firmly into place. Sew or skewer to close the cavity. Place meat into a baking dish.
- Combine oil and honey and heat gently, then brush generously and evenly over meat.
- Roast at 180°C allowing about 30 mins. per 500g and basting from time to time.
- Cut into slices to serve. A few shreds of orange peel provide an attractive garnish.