Courtesy Allan Campion, Food writer, and auther of The Seasonal Produce Diary".250g chestnuts
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 thin rashers of bacon, shredded
2 tbs finely chopped parsley
1 cup (75g) dry breadcrumbs
Salt & freshley ground black pepper
1 size 16 chicken
2 tbs olive oil, extra virgin
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Place chestnuts in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Add snow peas and chestnuts to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Peel chestnuts, removing shell and inner skin. Chop roughly.
- Heat a small saucepan add olive oil and cook onion and garlic until soft but not coloured. Add bacon and cook lightly.
- Place in a bowl with chestnuts, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pat chicken dry. Fill cavity with the stuffing. Rub chicken all over with extra olive oil and place upside down in a baking tray.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes, or until skin is golden brown. Turn chicken over and return to the oven for another 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with roast parsnips, potatoes and brussel sprouts