Courtesy of Lynn Bain, Outdoor Food Journalist.
50g dried mushrooms
1 tblspn olive oil
1 tblspn butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
2 cups peeled chestnuts
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
100g shaved parmesan
- Soak the dried mushrooms in water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy based pan over low heat and fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the rice, drained mushrooms and peeled chestnuts.
- Stir thoroughly making sure the rice is well coated with the oil and butter. Continue cooking for three minutes.
- Heat the stock until it is just simmering. Add to the rice mixture a cup at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed by the rice. Continue until all the stock is used. The rice should be cooked and creamy.
- Add the shaved parmesan to the risotto.