Courtesy of Beverley Sutherland Smith, Food Writer, The Age.
1 small onion, diced
1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
salt to taste
1/4 cabbage, shredded or
12 small Brussels sprouts
one tspn sugar
12 chestnuts, peeled
- Prepare chestnuts and leave aside.
- Melt butter, add onion and apple and cook gently, stirring occasionally until they have softened.
- If using sprouts, cook them separately then add a little salt, sugar and butter, then combine with onion and apple and gently mix with chestnuts.
- If using cabbage, combine with onion and apple, then add a little salt and sugar. Put the lid on and leave cabbage to soften for about 8 mins.
- Add the chestnuts and gently mix through, leave them in the pan and serve, distributing the chestnuts evenly.
This dish adds a deliciously rich flavour to pork, chicken or any game.