Courtesy of Anne Van Gemert, chestnut grower, Taradale, Vic.500g chicken livers
200g chestnuts, peeled (see note)
1 large onion, chopped
1 tspn fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
3 lean rashers bacon
3 tbs port
3 tbs medium sweet sherry
1 tbs brandy
salt, cracked pepper to taste
1/2 cup cream
- Soak cleaned livers in salted cold water for at least one hour.
- Prepare chestnuts as directed by boiling in hot water for 15 mins. then removing outer skin and inner pellicle.
- Put through a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Heat butter in large frying pan, add onion, thyme, bay leaves and bacon. Fry until tender but not brown.
- Add drained livers and simmer for 7 mins.
- Place contents from pan into food processor or blender.
- Add brandy, port, sherry, salt, pepper, cream and pureed chestnuts to pan. Heat and stir until reduced by half.
- Pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place in individual pate dishes and refrigerate until firm.
- Top with clarified butter and bay leaf. When butter solidifies, cover each dish with plastic wrap.