(makes approx. 3 cups)
400gm fresh chestnuts, in shell
Water (as needed)
2 cups milk
1/2 a vanilla bean
3tbls Cognac or Brandy
- Shell chestnuts by making a shallow incision ONLY in the round portion of each nut.
- Place the chestnuts on a baking tray in a small amount of water and bake at 240 degrees C for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Slip intact nuts from shells.
- Remove the skins and discard.
- Place the chestnuts, milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan and heat to simmering.
- Simmer until all liquid has evaporated and chestnuts are tender.
- Rub the chestnuts through a sieve to puree.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add Cognac or Brandy and blend until smooth.