Courtesy of Bille Texler, chestnut grower, Harrietville, Vic
125g unsalted butter
1 cup castor sugar
250g cooking chocolate
Vanilla, rum or brandy
- Place the chestnuts in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil. Remove the nuts one at a time and skin them.
- Simmer the peeled nuts in water until tender with vanilla to flavour. Drain and puree.
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft and white.
- Melt the chocolate with half a cup of water and, when cool, add to the butter mixture.
- Add the chestnuts. Flavour with vanilla, rum or brandy.
- Turn into a loaf pan that has been lined with 'Glad Bake'.
- Chill overnight.
- Turn out and serve cut in slices with whipped cream and chocolate to decorate.