60g granulated sugar
240ml dry red wine
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- With a sharp knife, make a slit on the rounded side of each chestnut. Arrange the chestnuts in a single layer in a baking pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove the chestnuts from the oven. While they are still warm, remove the hard outer shells and inner skin.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the wine and sugar.
- Heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the chestnuts and cook until the wine is reduced to a thick syrup (about 30 mins).
- Transfer the chestnuts to a serving dish.
- Serve with your favourite dessert wine.