Courtesy of Ann Creber, Food Consultant and chestnut grower, Melbourne.
500g peeled chestnuts
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 tspns butter
1 egg (beaten)
- Prepare and peel chestnuts then simmer in water for 20 minutes or until soft, then drain.
- In a saucepan over gentle heat, combine cocoa, sugar, milk and butter and cook, stirring for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Puree chestnuts and add to cocoa mixture with egg. Stir well and pour into buttered one litre mould.
- Place mould in pan of hot water and bake in moderate oven for about 45 minutes or until pudding is firm.
- Serve in small portions with fresh cream.